“Playing politics is like having sex. Almost everybody does it, but nobody is comfortable discussing exactly what they do.” Begins Marie McIntyre, PH.D., the author of Secrets to winning at office politics.
“The political side of work quickly becomes apparent as soon as we take our first job. To succeed, we not only have to do outstanding work, but we also have to deal with quirky bosses and annoying co-workers. Colleagues get defensive when we point out their mistakes, unscrupulous rivals try to stab us in the back, and managers make decisions that seem totally unfair or completely idiotic. Learning to deal with these realities, and succeed in spite of them, constitutes our on-the-job political education. Every office is a playing field for the game of politics. And when you take a job, you’re automatically a player.” she adds on.
Many people feel that playing the political game involves devious plotting or blatant self-promotion. In reality though, politics is what naturally happens whenever people with different goals, interests and personalities try to work together.
In this absorbing, captivating, fascinating and addictive read, the author will leave you with no option but to shine at your work place. So far it is the best book I have read on navigating your way to the top at the work place. I have read it more than once and I sure will read it again and again.
In the book, Marie covers a wide range of work place related concerns. Some of them include;
- Political Intelligence and the facts of life – she leads you into developing political intelligence and explains to you the impossibility of fairness at the work place and instead what you should build on,
- Using your energy wisely at the work place,
- Political pitfalls and how to avoid them,
- Political games and how each should be played. She gives a guideline on how to identify political games and gives you the counter moves that you so much need,
- Toxic workplaces (this was one of my best parts) and how to identify them,
- Increasing your political power at the work place and
- Sharpening your influence skills at the work place just to list a few.
This book is available on amazon and can be bought here.
Get yours now and know what it is that you need to do to get it right.